Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Our lives are like quilts

I've been wanting to use these little quilt stamps from Papertrey Ink for some time and just never got around to it. I need a sympathy card and while looking through my stamps for an appropriate one I ran across them--the sentiment is perfect so I thought there was no better time to give them a try. This card is also for the Viva la Verve Challenge 1 and the first day of Verve's Looking For Love challenge.

The first challenge is a sketch challenge with a twist of hardware and I love it. The second one is a color challenge: Kraft, Riding Hood Red, and Blush Blossom. I confess I'd never have put these colors together but I'm really loving how they work! My base card is Kraft, with a layer of Riding Hood Red, then Blush Blossom. The next layer of elements is first a layer of Kraft and then a layer of DP by My Mind's Eye called Baby Girl--Floral/Coral. Now, the little roses in the paper were originally a muted dark dusky rose color, but I added some red with my Red Star Sakura glitter pen and voila! It's red and a good match for Riding Hood Red. This paper had everything else going for it so I wasn't going to let a little thing like the wrong color roses stop me, LOL! The sentiment element is Kraft and Blush Blossom with the sentiment stamped in Riding Hood Red with an accent of antique brass brads for the hardware part, and it's popped up on 3M foam squares. The focal image is four of the little quilt squares stamped on watercolor paper in Basic Black and colored in the challenge colors. For the Kraft "pieces" I colored them first with Creamy Caramel and then went over them with Going Gray. I used my Blush Blossom marker for that color, and for the Riding Hood Red I used my reinker and my blender pen. I matted it with a layer of Riding Hood Red cut/embossed with a square Nestabilities die and mounted it up on 3M foam squares. The only other thing it needed was a line of paper piercing and it was done!

Thanks for stopping by!

~Recipe~
Stamps: Quilter's Sampler (Papertrey Ink)
Paper: watercolor paper, Kraft, Riding Hood Red, Blush Blossom (SU!), Baby Girl--Floral/Coral DP (My Mind's Eye)
Ink: Basic Black, Creamy Caramel, Going Gray, Riding Hood Red, Blush Blossom
Accessories: Cuttlebug, Nestabilities, Sakura Red Star glitter pen, 3M foam squares, brads (craft store), paper piercer/mat/template

1 comment:

  1. This is so pretty Barbara! I love the colors and the layout. It's simple and elegant and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!