Tuesday, June 24, 2014

MFT June Creative Challenge–Getting Inky, Hybrid Style

creativechallenge_2014jun24


Hi there! With the introduction of MFT’s Hybrid Ink a couple of months ago, a whole new world of stamping techniques opened up. This month, the design team is challenged to use ink techniques that feature the range of colors of the hybrid ink line. Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all the designers who have a project to share with you today.

I have a couple of projects to share with you today. Since
MFT’s new hybrid inks are waterproof, they lend themselves perfectly to mixed media techniques. For my first project I decided to alter the front of a canvas bag for my project today. First of all I washed the bag to remove the sizing that’s applied during manufacture. Then I ironed it as smooth as possible because I knew I was going to stamp on it. To facilitate that, I also inserted a piece of heavy cardboard inside while I was working.

I started by painting the front with gesso to prepare the canvas to take the ink better. Then I just started stamping and stenciling as the mood struck. I knew I wanted the theme to be based on
LJD Sea Life, but otherwise the process was organic—sometimes I stamped over stenciling and sometimes I stenciled over stamping, if an area looked like it needed something I added it; very little planning went into the design.

Here’s a close up of one area…


SONY DSC


…here’s another…

SONY DSC


…and yet another.

SONY DSC                      


As with most mixed media projects, there is no right or wrong way and there are no mistakes :) If you don’t like how something looks, simply paint over it with gesso, dry it, and try something else! This bag will end up as a gift—I hope the recipient will love it as much as I do.
*****

My second project is a simple little banner that I have hanging in my craft room.

creativechallengeb_2014jun24


I started off by cutting some pennants with Jumbo Banner Day STAX Die-namics from canvas. Then I stamped a butterfly from MPD Winged Beauties using Red Hot Hybrid ink, Orange Fizz Hybrid ink, Lemon Drop hybrid ink, Sour Apple hybrid ink, Berrylicious hybrid ink, and Grapesicle hybrid ink. Next I stamped the letters, from LLD Max Alphabet, in the center of the butterflies with Black Licorice hybrid ink. Then it was a simple task of clipping the pennants to some cotton yarn with coordinating clothespins. Easy peasy! I did heat set the inks in case I every want to wash the pennants.

I hope these projects will encourage you to have fun with MFT’s new hybrid inks!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!



1CAS Supplies2


creativechallenge_2014jun24




creativechallengeb_2014jun24




~Supplies~
Bag
Stamps:
LJD Sea Life, Inspired by the Sea, Typewriter Text Background, Sheet Music Background, Grid Background (MFT)
Ink:
Lemon Drop Hybrid ink, Black Licorice Hybrid ink, Steel Gray Hybrid ink, Natural Hybrid ink, Orange Fizz Hybrid ink, Steel Blue Hybrid ink, Tangy Orange Hybrid ink, Sour Apple Hybrid ink, Grapesicle Hybrid ink, Gumdrop Green Hybrid ink, Berrylicious Hybrid ink (MFT)
Paper: None
Accessories/tools:
Sun Ray stencil, MPD Stone Wall stencil, MPD Fishnet stencil, On the Diagonal stencil, Waves Stencil (MFT); gesso

Banner
Stamps: MPD Winged Beauties, LLD Max Alphabet (MFT)
Ink: Red Hot Hybrid ink, Orange Fizz hybrid ink, Lemon Drop hybrid ink, Sour Apple hybrid ink, Berrylicious hybrid ink, Grapesicle hybrid ink, Black Licorice hybrid ink (MFT)
Paper: None
Accessories: Vagabond; Jumbo Banner Day STAX Die-namics (MFT) canvas, cotton yarn, mini clothespins


1CAS Signature2

4 comments:

  1. Well, you already know I LOVE the tote bag! It's freakin' amazing! And the banner is totally cute, and perfect for your Cave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous projects, Barbara -- Great use of the hybrid inks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, your canvas bag is Amazing! As a child, I spent all of my Summers under water at our local lake. Even as an adult, I steal every chance I get to snorkle as an adult on some beautiful trips we were blessed with to Cancun Mexico and the Bahamas. You have captured the shadows cast on the bottom perfectly!! I love your Create banner too. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome projects Barb, thanks for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!