Tuesday, January 22, 2013

MFT January Creative Challenge–Die-namics Circle STAX

creativechallenge1_2013jan22 
The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to create with our Circle STAX.  Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers who have a project to share with you today. 

Hi, everyone! As you see, today we’re focused on what we can do with our Die-namics Circle STAX. Obviously, one can cut circles for stamping images and layering, but I wanted to explore some other uses.

My first project is a card and I used my Die-namics Circle STAX to create a shaker element. I didn’t want to re-invent the wheel, but you can do a search and get the basics of the technique. First I cut out a Die-namics Open Scallop Doily Duo and added a Die-namics Circle STAX layer cut from patterned paper. Then I cut a frame from two circle sizes as well as the window, made of clear card stock. To make my tiny “confetti”, I cut a Die-namics Dainty Lace Border from lots of colors and used the little pieces of waste—I’ll keep the borders in my scrap drawer—some of them are bound to come in handy at some point.
I’m using sweet little PI – You Color My World for my image, colored with Copic markers, and Whip Cream card stock and Hot Fudge card stock from the MFT Boutique.
 creativechallenge1_2013jan22close

Here’s a side view to show the dimension of a shaker element and all the circle layers.

creativechallenge1_2013jan22side

 

And here’s another sentiment from the set.

creativechallenge1_2013jan22in

*****

 



creativechallenge2_2013jan22

For my second project, I made a door knob hanger for my craft room. I’d been wanting to do one of these for some time so I decided this was the time to get it done!

You can get bases for these already cut out but I wasn’t going to be near a craft store in time to make this so I made my own. With some heavy chipboard, I cut the top with a
Die-namics Circle STAX by cutting my chipboard just a little narrower than the diameter of the die and slipping it through the circle center so only the top was in touch with the cutting surface.

creativechallenge2_2013jan22top


Then, with a smaller size circle, I cut out the hole to slip over the door knob. I repeated the process with Kraft corrugated paper, adhered the two pieces together, and there was my hanger base!

creativechallenge2_2013jan22hole 

Then it was time to dress it up. I swiped some white craft paint on the corrugated paper then sanded the edges and sponged with distress ink. I used my Die-namics Circle STAX dies again to cut the pink striped paper covering my Die-namics Dizzy Doily die cut.

creativechallenge2_2013jan22layer 

Here’s a shot of the top part. In addition to the circles and Dizzy Doily, cut from Kraft card stock, I’m using Die-namics By the Letters, Die-namics Fishtail Flags STAX, Die-namics Leaf-Filled Flourish, Die-namics Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose, Die-namics First Place Award Ribbon, and Die-namics Royal Leaves.

creativechallenge2_2013jan22mid 

And here’s the bottom part, with the addition of Die-namics Mini Tab Foursome and Die-namics Hexagons to the mix. The words “inspire” and “create” were stamped using Typewriter Alphabet.

creativechallenge2_2013jan22bottom

And, finally, here it is hanging on my craft room door :)

creativechallenge2_2013jan22door

 

That’s it from me today! Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope I’ve inspired you to get your own Die-namics Circle STAX and make some circles of your own!

 

 

 

 

Pin It

 

 

 

~Supplies~
Card:
Stamps:
PI – You Color My World (MFT)
Paper:
Whip Cream card stock, Hot Fudge card stock (MFT); A Walk In the Park (Echo Park)
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa; Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Ranger)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics Circle STAX, Die-namics Open Scallop Doily, Die-namics LLD Accent It – Flags & Tags, Caribbean Teal baker’s twine (MFT); foam dots, sewing machine, Copic markers


Door Hanger:
Stamps:
Typewriter Alphabet (MFT)
Paper:
Kraft card stock (MFT); Lost & Found - Market Street (MME); Kraft corrugated paper
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa; Vintage Photo Distress Ink (Ranger)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics Circle STAX, Die-namics Dizzy Doily, Die-namics By the Letters, Die-namics Fishtail Flags STAX, Die-namics Leaf-Filled Flourish, Die-namics Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose, Die-namics First Place Award Ribbon, and Die-namics Royal Leaves, Die-namics Mini Tab Foursome, Die-namics Hexagons (MFT); pearl flourish, white craft paint, foam dots

brownwendysignature

13 comments:

  1. Oh, Barbara!

    How CREATIVE!!! :) I love your cheerful, cute card! And how clever to add the shaker (all those colors are perfect for this Pure Innocence Stamp Set)!!!!!!

    And I can't believe you made your door knob hanger yourself (without a template)! I don't even see the seam!One of these has been on my "To Get TO List" forever...and now you've reminded & inspired me!!!!

    Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

    Crafty hugs,

    Jennifer
    partridgelu at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so clever! I love the shaker box - and that door knob hanger is gorgeous! Girl Cave - I Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG LOVE your card. The bright colored confetti is great! Your door hanger is fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These r gorgeous, love how you made the confetti, gret idea, beautiful door hanger

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable, I made a shaker card but added colorful candy for decorating cupcakes, but using scrap paper dots would have been great ...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *adore* your shaker with the little colorful circles! SO cute! And your door hanger is gorgeous! I'd like something like that for my cave.You have my wheels turning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I seriously don't know which I like better! The colors on the card are fantastic.... the door hanger is GORRRRRGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas Barbara! I love the little circle shaker!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous projects. Absolutely love what you did on the card. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, both of these are fabulous. Love the shaker element on your card. The door hanger is gorgeous. Love all the pretty details and all the MFT die-namics you used. Very creative indeed. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your beautiful projects, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your shaker card and am really inspired by your door tag - it's the perfect present for some of my crafty friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so beautiful, love the fabulous designs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!