Tuesday, July 10, 2012

MFT July Creative Challenge–Christmas In July

creativechallenge_2012jul10


Hi, everyone, and welcome to MFT’s July Creative Challenge. The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to kick-start our holiday projects with Christmas in July.  Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers.


Print

 

Some time back, I used a 2 pound box of Velveeta and was pretty impressed by the sturdiness of the box. So I put it in my alterables bin and forgot about it. When I got ready to do this project, I went to my bin and EUREKA! The Velveeta box was there and screamed “cookies” to me. It’s the perfect size and shape to hold cookies for a holiday gift :)


creativechallenge_2012jul10nakedbox

I couldn’t very well use the naked box, so I covered it with Christmas patterned paper and decorated it. Luckily I had some of this old Cosmo Cricket paper in 12” sheets because that’s what it took to cover the box. You could certainly use solid card stock and dress it up, as well.

Once I got it covered and a ribbon tied around, I made a tag for the top, using my
Die-namics Traditional Tags STAX as the base.

creativechallenge_2012jul10box

 

To fancy it up, I first used my Die-namics Clearly Sentimental Label and some Die-namics Fishtail Flags STAX for some layers, then added a Die-namics Ornaments ornament and a couple of sentiments.

creativechallenge_2012jul10tag

The top one was made with another Die-namics Traditional Tags STAX and a sentiment from Bon Appétit stamp set. The holly leaves are from Die-namics Ornaments. The button is from Buttons Galore and More, and is tied onto the ribbon with twine.

creativechallenge_2012jul10smalltag

 

The second sentiment was made with a Die-namics First Place Award Ribbon flag die cut and the sentiment is from Die-namics Tag You’re It and Stamp Set. It also has a little holly leaf from Die-namics Ornaments.

creativechallenge_2012jul10flagtag

Here’s the box all loaded up with cookies. Yeah, they’re Chips Ahoy, LOL! No Christmas cookies here, yet. But they fit perfectly :)

creativechallenge_2012jul10cookies

I also made a card to go with my sweet gift. I’m using Inspired by Christmas for the sentiment. I stamped it on another Die-namics Clearly Sentimental Label die cut and embellished with more Die-namics Ornaments.

creativechallenge_2012jul10card


Here’s a close up of the sentiment—I love the fonts used on this!

creativechallenge_2012jul10cardsent

 

I decided to add just a little touch of whimsy with this tiny tag from Die-namics Ornaments on which I stamped “25th” using the Typewriter Alphabet set.

creativechallenge_2012jul10tinytag



And, finally, here’s the inside, with another sentiment from Inspired by Christmas. I believe, don’t you?

creativechallenge_2012jul10cardin


Here are the Die-namics dies I used on this project:

MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic

MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic

MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic

MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic

MFT_OwnYourStory_PreviewGraphic

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Hope to see you back tomorrow for this week’s MFT Wednesday Sketch Challenge!

 

Pin It

 

 

~Supplies~
Stamps:
Inspired by Christmas, Tag You’re It, Bon Appétit, Typewriter Alphabet (MFT)
Paper: Cherry Cobbler (SU!); Fine Linen; Cosmo Cricket Christmas patterned paper
Ink: Cherry Cobbler (SU!)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond; Clearly Sentimental Label, Ornaments, Fishtail Flags STAX, Traditional Tags STAX, First Place Award Ribbon
Die-namics dies (MFT); ribbon, twine, pearls, buttons, repurposed box

 

brownwendysignature

11 comments:

  1. Such a great idea to make a simple box of cookies look that awesome, love the card too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a gift box. Love your tag and card. Someone is going to be very lucky. ksh

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo beautiful! that is a great box (we use valveeta, too!). you decorated it soooo pretty. the matching card is awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous creation! So many beautiful details! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome project Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!!!!! That box IS perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Barb! But do you have to eat the Velveeta first? It IS perfect for the cookies though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! This is a fab set! I love how you used the Velvetta box! I should do that. If I made enough of them now, I would have so much less wrapping to do at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the box and tag, Barbara! You do amazing work. (I still have your gift bag on display in my stamp room. I love it.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!