Friday, May 15, 2009

For The Guys--Stamp Simply Challenge #87


Another week as Guest Designer for the Stamp Simply challenges is here. I can't believe I only have two more!!! Where is the time going!? This week's challenge is to do a masculine card. Here it is in Sharon's words:

FOR THE GUYS
- When I first started stamping I did a ton of masculine cards, living in a houseful of guys, but I slowly got away from it and now don't do nearly enough of them. Fathers' day is still a month away, but we have all sorts of occasions to give those guys in our lives cards -- so make a card for one of those guys in your life, but there is one more stipulation -- lets make sure our cards include either string, rope, cording or knots of some sort -- which is what I used to included on guy cards all the time when I did them years ago. So pull out those *rugged ribbons* - LOL -- and let's create for those guys in our lives!!!

My father's been gone for almost 17 years but it's a rare day that I don't have him in my thoughts and remember things he taught me. My DH is a great influence on me, as well, so I'm lucky to have two beacons in my life. So, I guess I can give this to my DH for Father's Day (after all, he is the father of my kitties, LOL) and dedicate it to my own father--he loved the water, so this lighthouse image is perfect.

My base card is Very Vanilla with layers of Ruby Red and DP from Basic Grey's Boxer 6 x 6 pad. What paper is more appropriate for a guy card than Boxer, LOL? I really love this paper, too. OK, back to the card. I tied some cord around the center, between the two different DP elements, and then tied a knot around it to satisfy that part of the challenge. Then I popped up the whole thing on the base card with 3M foam squares. The focal image is from a new set from Gina K. called "Guiding Light" and was stamped on watercolor paper with Memento Tuxedo Black and colored with SU! markers and a blender pen. I did a watercolor wash on the background and popped the gulls up on slivers of foam squares. Then the image was matted with Ruby Red and more DP before also being popped up on foam squares. The sentiment is from the same set and was stamped on Very Vanilla with Night of Navy and cut out with a Spellbinders label die and it's also up on foam squares. Pretty simple, but I wanted the image to really be the focal point of this card with no distractions. I think it worked--what about you?

Thanks for dropping by today.

Come along and play with us and make something for a guy in your life--we'd love to see what you come up with. If you do, be sure to leave a comment on Sharon's blog telling her where you uploaded. Please use the keyword ssnotime87 if you upload to a public forum. Check out Sharon's fabulous sample and also the great designs from the Stamp Simply team:

Julie Koerber

Jennifer Buck

Janine Orchard

Becky Oehlers

A J Otto

Tammy Hershberger

Deb Saarenen

Thanks for dropping by!

~Recipe~
Stamps: Guiding Light (Gina K. Designs)
Paper: Very Vanilla, Ruby Red, watercolor paper (SU!); Boxer 6 x 6 pad (Basic Grey)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Bordering Blue reinker (SU!)
Accessories: Cuttlebug/Spellbinder label die; 3M foam squares, cord (craft store); Stampin! Write markers, blender pen (SU!)

9 comments:

  1. WOnderful Barbara. Your dad would love this, and I am sure your DH will. Great layout and coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout and choice of colours and textures. This is a great looking card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The use of a lighthouse is my idea of a great man's card. Awesome. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS coloring Barb-- absolutely gorgeous! What a stunning card for the guy in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Barbara....I wanted to get that set, but (sigh) I want everything!!! Looks great with Boxer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice card! Beautiful coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barb!! Fabulous card... Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card is beautiful, or should I say, "manly" looking? You did a wonderful job coloring and when your husband sees it, he'll appreciate all the work you did for him and for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card; your hubby will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!